Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sidestrand smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Sidestrand Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sidestrand [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Sidestrand

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 493.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SIDESTRAND (or SYDERSTRAND) is a parish on the coast, 3 miles south-east from Cromer station and 7 north from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael, consisting of chancel and nave, was, through the liberality of S. G. Hoare esq. rebuilt in the Early English style, partly with materials and stone of the old church, and was consecrated in 1881: it contains 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £100, in the gift of of the Duchy of Lancaster and S. G. Hoare esq. alternately, and held by the Rev. Forster Gorge Simpson B.A. of St. Edmund Hall Oxford, who is also rector of and resides at Overstrand. Samuel Gurney Hoare esq. who is lord of the manor, and Flaxman Spurrell esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is light heath; subsoil, brick earth and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 445 acres; rateable value, £734; and the population in 1881 was 158.


Letters through Norwich, viā North Repps. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Cromer

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sidestrand smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Sidestrand Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sidestrand [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]