Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Erpingham union
North Erpingham hundred
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sidestrand smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Sidestrand Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sidestrand [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Sidestrand

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 404

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002]

SIDESTRAND, or Syderstrand, a village and parish on the coast, 3½ miles E.S.E. of Cromer, has 35 houses, 140 souls, and 443 acres of land, the property of Saml. Hoare, Flaxman Spurrell, and T. F. and C. Buxton, Esqrs. ; the former is lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £5 10s., and augmented in 1810 with £200 Queen Anne's bounty. The patronage is alternately vested in the Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, and S. Hoare, Esq. The Rev. P. Johnson, the incumbent, has 2a. 19p. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £106 12s., awarded in 1838, in lieu of tithes. The poor have 2a. of land at Trimingham.

DIRECTORY—

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Erpingham union
North Erpingham hundred
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sidestrand smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Sidestrand Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sidestrand [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]