SIZELAND (or SISLAND) is a village and parish 1½ miles west from Loddon. 10 south-east from Norwich and 5 from Buckenham station on the Norwich and Yarmouth railway, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small ancient structure with thatched roof: it consists of chancel, nave and square wooden tower with 1 bell: adjoining the church are some ruins of a former edifice. The register dates from the year 1584. The living is a rectory, yearly value £126, in the gift of and held since 1868 by the Rev. William Wiles Hobson B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes have been commuted for £136 15s.; the glebe is 18 acres with house. The parish lies in two manors, viz. those of Charles and Brooke; Lord Berners is lord of the former, and Viscount Canterbury of the latter, and they, with Wilson Gilbert esq. and Captain Robert H. Clarke, of Stuston, Suffolk, are the principal landowners. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 466 acres; rateable value, £601; the population in 1881 was 71.
Letters through Norwich, viā Brooke. Loddon is the nearest money order & telegraph office
This place is included in the Loddon United School Board. formed in 1880; the children attend the school there
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; spelling correction, and links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883; and Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sisland Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Sisland watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Sisland archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sisland [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information for Sisland [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page