SLOLEY, a parish and village 5 miles S. of North Walsham, has 72 houses, 294 souls, and 720 acres, 1 rood, 39 perches of land, mostly the property of Mrs. B. Cubitt, of Sloley House, a neat mansion of white brick, pleasantly situated on a declivity, half a mile S.W. of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, and has a tower and one bell. The structure was thoroughly repaired and otherwise improved in 1841, by the late rector, the Rev. B. Cubitt, at an expense of £700 : by whose liberality a school was also erected, and his widow now pays the schoolmistress for teaching poor children. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £5 6s. 8d., in the gift of Mrs. Cubitt, and incumbency of the Rev. James White, M.A. There are 35a. 1r. 26p. of glebe, of which 10 acres are at Honing, and the tithes were commuted in 1842, for £250 per annum. The Poor's Allotment, 18 acres, awarded at the enclosure in 1815, is let for £18 a year. John Ketteringham also left two cottages and an acre of land for the poor, which is let for £6 ; and 4 acres, 1 rood, 4 perches produce £7 a year. The poor have also the interest of £22, which arose from the sale of a cottage. The proceeds of the above charities are distributed among the deserving poor.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [Pamela Littlefair]
Sloley archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sloley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]