SMALLBURGH is a village and parish and head of a union, 3 miles from Worstead station on the North Walsham branch line, 2½ south-west from Stalham station, and 5½ south-east from North Walsham, on the navigable river Ant, which is crossed by Wayford bridge, connecting this parish with Stalham (near it is supposed to have been a Roman station), in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Tunstead and Happing, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a small old building of flint and stone, and consists of chancel, nave, bell cot with 1 bell and south porch, and is approached from the Yarmouth road through an avenue of trees. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent charge £418, with residence and 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 181 by the Rev. Henry Thomas Griffith B.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. There is a chapel for Wesleyans. The fuel allotment is 43 acres. There are two manors in this parish; Sir J. H. Preston J.P. is lord of the manor of Smallburgh, and John Seaman Postle esq. is lord of the manor of Smallburgh Catts with Presbutts, and principal landowner. The soil is a rich loam; subsoil, sand, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,247 acres; rateable value £2,364; and the population in 1881, including workhouse, was 504.
POST OFFICE.Edward Gibson, receiver. Letters received from Norwich at 6.10 a.m.; dispatched at 4.10 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Worstead
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR TUNSTEAD & HAPPING PETTY SESSIONAL DISIVION.
Board day, every tuesday in winter & alternate tuesdays in summer, at the workhouse.
The following places are in Smallburgh union:Ashmanhaugh, Bacton, Barton Turf, Beeston St. Laurence, Bradfield, Brunstead, Catfield, Crostwight, Dilham, East Ruston, Edingthorpe, Felmingham, Happisburgh, Hempstead-with-Eccles, Hickling, Honing, Horning, Horsey-next-the-Sea, Hoveton St. John, Hoveton St. Peter, Ingham, Irstead, Lessingham, Ludham, Neatishead, Palling-next-the-Sea, Paston, Potter Heigham, Ridlington, Sco-Ruston, Sloley, Smallburgh, Stalham, Sutton, Swafield, Tunstead, Walcott, Waxham, Westwick, Witton, Worstead. The population of the union in 1881 was 14,328; rateable value, £95,164
RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.
Clerk, H. R. Barnard, Worstead
Medical Officer of Health. J. S. Clowes, Stalham
Inspector of Nuisances, John Hall, Worstead
Village School, Miss Coman, mistress
CARRIER TO NORWICH.John Barber, wed. & sat
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wayford Bridge towermill and Moy's drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Smalllburgh archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Smallburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page