SMALLBURGH is a village and parish, 5½ miles S.E. by S. of North Walsham, and 12 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, comprising 1,247 acres of land, 121 houses, and 601 souls, of whom 99 were in the Union Workhouse, which has been previously noticed. The land mostly belongs to W. H. Windham, John and Wm. Postle, Esqrs., and Mr. Robt. Cook. John Postle, Esq. and Sir J. H. Preston are joint lords of the manor. The Old Hall is now unoccupied ; Wm. Postle, Esq., in 1837, built a New Hall. About a mile east of the village is Wayford Bridge across the river Ant, near which is supposed to have been a Roman Station. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, had formerly a tower, but it fell down in 1677. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £10 4s., in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Arthur Ormesby, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for £430 per annum, and there are 28 acres, 1 rood, 17 perches of glebe. The Church Land, 11 acres, 2 roods, 27 perches is let for £21 4s., to which is added 20s. from part of an allotment set out as a common-staith. The Poor's Allotment, 43 acres, 21 perches, awarded in 1820, is used for cutting fuel. Petty Sessions are held at the workhouse every Tuesday.
Post Office at John Watt's, letters arrive at 9.30 a.m., and are despatched at 5.30 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wayford Bridge towermill and Moy's drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Smalllburgh archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Smallburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page