1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Snetterton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Snetterton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Snetterton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.495..

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

SNETTERTON is a parish and irregular village 2 miles north from Harling Road station and 4 south-west from Attleborough, in the Southern division of the county, Shropham hundred, Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norwich and diocese of Norfolk. The church of All Saints is a structure of flint with stone dressings, and consists of chancel, nave and aisles, with square tower, of whichthe chancel, nave and aisles are Perpendicular and the two porches are Early English: the east window is filled with stained glass; there is also a stained window in the west end, the gift of James Reeve esq.; the nave is divided from the chancel by a handsome carved, painted and gilt screen: the church has been thoroughly restored, at the sole expense of the rector. Here was anciently another church, dedicated to St. Andrew. The register dates from the year 1669. The living is a rectory. consolidated with that of Quidenham, joint yearly value £636, in the gift of the Earl of Albermarle, and held since 1824 by the Rev. the Hon. Edward Southwell Keppel M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, rural dean and honorary canon of Norwich Cathedral, who resides at Quidenham; the Rev. James Thomas Woodcock B.A. of Queen's College, Oxford, is curate in charge. The Earl of Albermarle, who is lord of the manor, and Sir Thomas Beevor bart. are the principal landowners. The soil is various,; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,189 acres; rateable value £2,086 15s.; the population in 1881 was 203.

______

Letters through Thetford. LETTER BOX near the church. East Harling is the nearest money order & telegraph office
The school was built in 1836; Mrs. Mary Crook, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Snetterton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Snetterton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page