1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Wayland union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Snetterton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Snetterton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 831-832

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

SNETTERTON, 3 miles N. of East Harling, is a parish comprising 55 straggling houses, 252 souls, and 2,174 acres of land, of which only 1,668 are assessable. It is in five farms, belonging to the Earl of Albermarle, and Sir T. B. Beevor, Bart. ; the former of whom is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £12 7s. 1d., and consolidated with Quiddenham, in the incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. E. S. Keppel. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, a neat edifice with a square tower and three bells, has recently been thoroughly repaired, and refitted with open seats of polished oak, a new pulpit and reading desk added, and the floor covered with tesselated pavement. A handsome stained glass window has been presented by Mr. James Reeve, for the west end ; the chancel window is also richly adorned with stained glass. The reparations and improvements cost upwards of £1,200, which was defrayed by the liberality of the rector and Lady Maria Keppel. The Church land, 26a. 2r., is let for £13 3s. per annum. The poor have £3 a year out of the H all arm [sic] left by an unknown donor. The rector built a school in 1836, and also pays for the education of poor children.
DIRECTORY Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Wayland union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Snetterton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page