SNETTISHAM is a village and parish, with station on the Lynn and Hunstanton railway, half a mile south-west from the village, which is 11 miles north-north-east from Lynn and 108¾ from London, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Lynn county court district, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese : it is situated on the coast road between Hunstanton and Lynn. The church of St. Mary was beautifully renovated in 1856, at an expense of £1,200 raised by local rates and voluntary subscriptions : it is a large and handsome building of stone and flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, aisles, and south transept, and has a square tower at the eastern end containing a peal of 5 bells, and surmounted by a lofty spire, which may be seen for miles around, forming a landmark for vessels at sea : the chancel is in ruins and only a small portion is now standing, covered with ivy : the entrance is through a finely-groined vestibule at the west end, above which is a handsome window of six lights, in the florid Gothic style, adorned with richly-stained glass, chiefly the gift of Mrs. Dora Hill : there are memorial windows, one on the north side, erected by Capt. Campbell, to his mother; on the south side, one by several friends, to Mr. John Dawes, of Preedy, architect; on the south-west side, by the parishioners and other friends, to Ann Maris, the wife of the Rev. H. H. Bridgwater M.A.: it contains a curious font which has been restored, and marble monuments, with the effigy of Sir Wymond Carye, who died in 1612, and a brass, on which are portrayed the figures of John Cremer and his family, dated 1610 : the nave is light and lofty, and is separated from the aisles by a handsome arcade : the pulpit is painted and is supposed to be of great antiquity : the transept contains the vaults of the le Stranges, and is kept in repair by the le Strange family : there are several armorial bearings. The churchyard was enlarged and he enlargement consecrated in 1879. The registers datemarriages, from 1754; burials and baptisms, from 1760. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £110, arising from tithe rent charge, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1878 by the Rev. Henry Hugh Bridgwater M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. There is a fuel allotment of 17 acres. A statute fair for hiring servants is held on the 12th of October. In the parish there are chalk pits, lime-kilns, and three quarries of carr stone, two of which are now being worked by Mr. G. Lawson, to the depth of about 29 feet, at which depth there is frequently found a mixture of pebble stones embedded in the carr stone, also pieces of wood, but which go to powder one exposure to the air : the carr stone, on being taken from its bed, is soft, but acquires great hardness when exposed to the air, and is much used in buildings; the New Hall on Ken hill, for Mr. Green, is built of it, and great quantities have been used by the Estuary Company for encasing the Wash embankments. Many objects of antiquity have been found here at different periods, among which were a number of celts. The Old Hall, the property of Edward Green esq J.P. of Wakefield, Yorkshire. is a spacious mansion of brick, in the Elizabethan style, surrounded by well-wooded grounds, enclosed by a wall. The New Hall has been erected for Mr. Green, from the designs of J. J. Stevenson esq. of London, is an Early English stone house placed on Ken hill, commanding extensive views over the Wash, Lincolnshire, and Sandringham woods, and is surrounded by a park; although the highest ground in Norfolk, on a well being sunk an abundant supply of water was found at a depth of only 17 feet. The chief landowner is Edward Green esq. The soil is various, but chiefly of a good mixed character; subsoil, principally chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and mangolds. The area is 5,580 acres; rateable value, £9,991; the population in 1881 was 1,235.
SOUTHGATE is a hamlet, three quarters of a mile south-west from the church. Here is a coastguard station, and the railway station also.
Hall's Grammar School, founded by Anthony Hall in 1728 & reorganised in 1875, is capable of holding 40 boarders; under the old school a certain number of foundationers were taken, but under the new scheme this is abolished; it is now governed by 10 governors; the Rev. Frederick William Henry Palmer M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford, is the head master
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1873; Rev. H. Bridgwater M.A. hon. clerk to the Board
Board School erected in 1875 at a cost (including site) of over £2,000 for 230 children, average attendance 190; it is a handsome building of carr stone with Bath stone dressings; a suitable house for the master adjoins the school; Thomas Alfred Knight, master; Mrs. M.A. Knight, mistress
Railway Station, James Welham Rowe, station master
CARRIERS TO LYNN.William Nourse & George Overton pass through many times during the week
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Snettisham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Snettisham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Snettisham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page