SOUTH ACRE is a parish, 4 miles north from Swaffham station, situated in a pleasant valley, watered by the river Narr, in the Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. The church of St. George is an old pile in Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles and tower containing 3 bells: it contains several monuments and a brass. The living is a rectory, yearly value £572, with good residence and 45 acres of glebe, in the gift of Algernon Charles Fountaine esq. and held since 1878 by the Rev. Henry Raymond Smythies M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. A. C. Fountaine esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,491 acres; rateable value, £2,707; the population in 1881 was 73.
Parish Clerk, George Osborne.
Letters through Swaffham. Castle Acre is the nearest money order & telegraph office
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
South Acre Archeology [Norfolk Heritge Explorer]
More on South Acre [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page