SOUTHACRE, 4 miles N. of Swaffham, is a parish and small village on the river Nar, with 96 inhabitants, 16 houses, and 2,312 acres of land, the property of A. Fountaine, Esq. the lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £10 18s. 1½d., and in 1831 at £575. The Rev. Jno. Fountaine is the encumbent. The Church, dedicated to St. George, has a low tower with three bells, and in a chapel adjoining the north wall is the tomb and effigy of a Knight Templar, supposed to represent Sir Eudo Harsicke, who died in 1292; and at the east end is another altar tomb, with effigies of Sir Edward Barkham and his lady. On the pavement is a fine old brass, and within an arch in the chancel lies the figure of a man, carved in oak, and the fragments of several statues remain in various parts of the church. Here was formerly a house for lepers, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, and the site is still called Batholomew hill. The principal residents are the Rev. J. Fountaine, M.A., vicarage; and Wm. B. Clark, and Walter Orbell Palmer, farmers.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
South Acre Archeology [Norfolk Heritge Explorer]
More on South Acre [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page