1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Raynham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on South Raynham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe and Andrew Rivett]
And see East Raynham and West Raynham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - South Raynham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 470.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SOUTH RAYNHAM (or RAYNHAM ST. MARTIN) is a scattered village and parish 2 miles from Raynham Park station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and about 5 miles south-west-by-south from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Toftrees, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Martin is an old Gothic flint stone building, and consists of chancel, nave and tower. The register dates from the year1740. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Helhoughton. joint gross yearly value 396 net, with residence, in the gift of the Marquess Townshend and held since 1871 by the Rev. George John Ridsdale M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge. There is a dole of 3 6s. 8d. the gift of Lady Berkeley. The Marquess Townshend is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, brick earth and marl. The land is cltivated on the usual four-course system. The area is 1,040 acres; rateable value, 1,317 15s.; the population in 1881 was 158.


POST OFFICE.—James Mason, receiver. Letters received through Swaffham arrive at 6 a.m.; dispatched at 6.45 p.m. East Rudham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Girls attend school at West Raynham; boys at Helhoughton

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Raynham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on South Raynham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe and Andrew Rivett]
And see East Raynham and West Raynham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page