1891 Census Names Index for South Walsham St. Lawrence
1891 Census Names Index for South Walsham St. Mary
Village Sign [Norfolk Coast Co]
South Walsham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
South Walsham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on South Walsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - South Walsham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 540-541.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

SOUTH WALSHAM is divided into two parishes, viz. St. Mary & St. Lawrence, 3½ miles from Lingwood station on the Great Eastern railway from Norwich to Yarmouth, 10 north-east from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Walsham, union of Blofield, county court district of Norwich, rural deanery of Blofield. and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a fine old flint and rubble building, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and square tower with 5 bells. The register dates from the year 1550. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the trustees of the Old Men's Norwich Hospital; the tithe allotment is £162 6s. to the vicar; the glebe land is 32A. 2R. 23P.; the Rev. Waldo Cholmeley, of St. Bees, has been vicar since 1865. The church of St. Lawrence was burnt down in 1827: the tower is now a ruin: the chancel was repaired and opened for divine service in 1832. The register dates from 1550. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Queen's College, Cambridge; the tithe allotment to the rector is £411 10s, and there are 50A. 2R. 33P. of glebe land and held since 1858 by the Rev. George Cox Pollard M.A. formerly fellow of Queen's College. Here is a chapel for Primitive Methodists. Harrold's charity of £22 is for apprenticing; the poor's allotment of 44 acres produces £40 yearly. Here are two broads of 49 acres, owned by the trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes esq. and W. H. Jary esq The trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes esq. and the Rev. George Cox Pollard are lords of the manor. The landowners are the trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes and W. H. Jary esq. J.P. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, chalk, stone, sand and clay. The area of the two parishes in 3,149 acres; rateable value, of St. Mary's, £2,236; St. Lawrence, £3,238; and the population in 2881 was 369 in St. Mary's and 227 in St. Lawrence.

____

POST, MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.—Edwd. Alexander, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Norwich at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 a.m. [sic p.m.] Acle is the nearest telegraph office.
Poor Rates Collector, William Evans
National School, Miss Louisa Hitchen, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, June 2005; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index for South Walsham St. Lawrence
1891 Census Names Index for South Walsham St. Mary
Village Sign [Norfolk Coast Co]
South Walsham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
South Walsham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on South Walsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page