SOUTHBURGH is a parish and village 3½ miles south-west from Thuxton station, and 8 south from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church is a building of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch, square tower and spire: the date of the chancel is about A.D. 1200 and of the nave A.D. 1320: the church underwent a thorough restoration in the years 1878-1882, at a cost approaching £5,000, the greater part of which was contributed by members of the Gurdon family: the tower and spire were completed as a memorial to the late Hon. Mrs. Henrietta Gurdon, of Letton Hall, who died May 28, 1880: the architect was Mr. J. A. Reeve, diocesan surveyor. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, with those of Letton and Cranworth, joint gross yearly value tithe rent charge £790, with 31 acres of glebe and house at Cranworth and 7 acres here, in the gift of Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon esq. M.P. and held since 1874 by the Rev. Thomas Perry Garnier M.A. rural dean, late fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, who resides at Cranworth. There is a reading-room, built about 1876. The fuel allotment of 13 acres is let at £20 yearly. Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon esq. M.P. who is lord of the manor, and John Wayland esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,216 acres; rateable value, £1,847; the population in 1881 was 322.
POST OFFICE. Edward Rivett, jun. receiver. Box cleared at 5.0 p.m. sundays 10.5 a.m. Letters through Thetford 8.40 a.m. Sunday & daily. Shipdham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
The school is at Cranworth for the united parishes of Southburgh, Cranworth & Letton.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998; with corrections, June 2001; links updated March 2010.
1891Census Names Index
Complete Transcripts of Census of 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 Summary.
White's 1845 and 1854
White's 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK] (search for "Hingham")
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Blomefield on Southburgh [Norfolk History on Line]
More Information on Southburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page