[Complete entry. Transcribed by E. C. "Paddy" Apling]
SOUTHBURGH, or Southbergh, commonly called Barrow, is a parish of scattered houses, near the Blackwater rivulet, 3 miles N.W. by N. of Hingham, and 15 miles W. by S. of Norwich; comprising 307 inhabitants and 1211 acres of land, divided into two manors, of which T. T. Gurdon and J. Weyland, Esqrs., are lords and principal owners. The CHURCH (St. Andrew) has lost its tower, and the two bells are now hung in a thatched shed at the west end, within a yard of the ground. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 13s. 6d., and in 1831 at £253. It was augmented with £200 of Q.A.B. in 1795. T. T. Gurdon, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Philip Gurdon incumbent. The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1798, is 13A. 2R. 25P., let for £19. The poor parishioners have also 5s. yearly from Mowting's charity.
Bowen John, bricklayer Brasnett Mattw.
Copland Edward, shopkeeper Eagling Edward
Howard John, vict., King's Head Eagling John
Rivett Edward, wheelwright Johnson James
Webster Thomas, shoemaker Rope Robt. Manorhouse
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891Census Names Index
Complete Transcripts of Census of 1861, 1871, 1891, and 1901
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
White's 1864 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK] (search for "Hingham")
More Information on Southburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page