SOUTHEA comprises a great proportion of the hamlet of PARSON DROVE, and is 1 mile from the Murrow railway station.
MURROW is 7 miles south-west of Wisbech, and has a station on the Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint railway, also one on the Midland railway.
The church of Corpus Christi, at Murrow (erected in 1857), is a small brick structure, in the Early English style, and consists of small apse chancel, nave, south porch, and bell turret at the west end containing 1 bell.
The church of Emmanuel, at Southea, was erected in 1873, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; it is a red brick structure with stone facings, and open roof, in the Early English style, and consists of large apse chancel, nave, north aisle, with a bell turret and 1 bell: it is seated with open benches, and will hold 375 persons: the pillars are of Devonshire marble, and there is an organ, by Conacher & Co. of Huddersfield: it has four chandeliers, formerly in St. Paul's Cathedral, and presented by the Dean and Chapter to this church. The register at Murrow dates from the year 1858, and that for Southea from the year 1873. The living of Southea-cum-Murrow is a vicarage, yearly value £800, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1870 by the Rev. Arthur Wellington Roper B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge: the Rev. William Merrin B.A. London University, is curate. A chapel was founded at Murrow about the second year of the reign of King Richard II. temp 1379; it has long since been destroyed: the site is known as Chapel hill. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Murrow, and chapels for Wesleyans and Free Methodists at Southea. Bend's charity, for Southea, is £132 yearly, partly in money for the poor, remainder for education of the children, and subscriptions to County Hospital. The principal landowners at Murrow are Thomas Dye, Daniel Johnson and John Henley; and at Southea, Daniel Johnson and John Peck. The soil is clay and silt; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and mustard. The population in 1881 was 1,044.
Parish Clerk, Murrow, Henry Dale.
Sexton, Southea, Abraham Wells.
POST OFFICE, MurrowWilliam Stapleton, receiver. Letters arrive through Wisbech at 7.25 a.m.; are dispatched at 6.20 p.m. Parson Drove is the nearest money order office; telegraph office at the railway station (G.N. & G.E.)
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE, & Savings Bank, Parson Drove.John Eagleton, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Wisbech at 5.30 a.m.; are dispatched at 7.20 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at the railway station, Murrow (G.N. & G.E.)
INSURANCE AGENT.Imperial Live Stock Prudential, Charles Reddan, Murrow
Clerk to Southea & Parson Drove School Board, George Carrick, Wisbech Medical Officer& Public Vaccinator (2nd & 3rd B districts Wisbech union Assistant Overseer, Henry Kemp
Board School Southea, originally built in 1850, re-built in 1875 at a cost of £600, & will hold about 100 children; Joseph Smith, master;
Mrs. Smith, mistress; Miss Hannah Bibb, infants' mistress
National (mixed), Murrow, erected in 1858, Miss Catherine Couree, mistress
Great Northern & Great Eastern, Chas. Cliff, station master
Midland, Maurice Greenfield, station master