SOUTHERY is a village and parish 7 miles south from Downham Market, 5 north-east from Littleport station, 4 from Hilgay station, and 4 from Fordham station, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich, situated on a gentle eminence surrounded by fen land, and on the river Ouse. The church of St. Mary is in the Early English style, with steeple and 1 bell, and was erected in 1858 by subscription: it has a stained east window, presented by Mr. Robert Sayle, of Cambridge; also north and west windows, presented by Mr. Dove, of Bristol. The register dates from the year 1706. The living is a rectory, yearly value £700, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. Edmund Hall, and held since 1855 by the Rev. Archibald Aeneas Julius M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes are commuted at £650 yearly, and there are nearly 100 acres of glebe land. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Particular Baptists. An institute and library were opened in 1876. Chauncy Arthur Taylor esq. J.P. is lord of the manor; there are several landed proprietors. The soil is of a varied description, one part being strong clay land, but the greater proportion is a light black soil; subsoil, principally good clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, flax and roots. The area is 3,695 acres, the greater part of which is fen; rateable value, £5,480; the
population in 1881 was 1,176.
Parish Clerk, George Osler.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.- Mrs. Mary Ann Porter,
receiver. Letters arrive from Downham at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m.; & on sundays 10.45 a.m.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874, with Methwold contributory with 1 member; Harry Wayman, Downham, clerk to Board. Board school (mixed & infants'), with master's house, were erected in 1876; John Teasel, master; Mrs. Mary Balfour Teasel, mistress.
CARRIERS.- Benson & Porter, to Ely, mon. & thurs. returning same days; to Downham, on friday.
Julius Rev. Archibald Aeneas M.A., Rectory
Taylor Chauncy Arthur J.P., Southery manor;
2 Stanhope gardens, Queen's gate
& Naval & Military club, London s.w.