SOUTHTOWN (or WEST TOWN or LITTLE YARMOUTH) is a hamlet of Gorleston parish and a pretty suburb of Great Yarmouth (Norfolk), with which it is connected by a bridge over the river Yare. The hamlet (which was anciently a separate parish) was added to the borough of Great Yarmouth in 1681. The Great Eastern railway has a station here. The church of St. Mary is a white brick and flint Gothic structure, and consists of chancel and nave, with lancet-shaped windows: it was erected in 1831 by subscription, at a cost of £3,000, the site being given by the Earl of Lichfield: it has sittings for about 700 persons. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value dependent upon pew rents, in the gift of the vicar of Gorleston, who is also rector of South and West Town, through the 40 years Act, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Ernt Wolff Whitehead M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford. The trade here is chiefly in timber and ship and boat building, and herring fisheries. The Earl of Lichfield is the owner of most of the land; the greater part is let on building leases for the term of 99 years. The area is 596A. 2R. 26P. of land, principally marsh; rateable value, £14,674; and the population in 1881 was 2,251.
COBHOLM ISLAND, although in this county, is included in the parish of Yarmouth, Norfolk. Lady's Haven, formerly navigable for wherries and barges is now arched over. Here are the extensive building yards of F. Palmer esq. used exclusively for building private pleasure boats. There are also two other boat building yards.
An Industrial school was opened in 1881 in connection with the Board schools of Yarmouth
Yarmouth Board School (mixed), Cobholm Island, Miss Agnes Edith Gouken, mistress; Mrs. Jane Grayston, infants' mistress.
[For names of residents, see YARMOUTH, Norfolk.]
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, May 2005; links updated December 2010.
Gt. Yarmouth Southtown tower-mill and steam mill [Jonathan Neville]
Yarmouth (and Southtown Archeology) (with 15 linked pages) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
And see Great Yarmouth
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page