[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
SOUTHWOOD is a parish about 1 mile north from Cantley station and 9 miles west from Yarmouth, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Blofield, Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Edmund is a Gothic building, consistig of chancel, nave and plain square tower, but is now only used as a mortuary chapel. The inhabitants attend divine service at Limpenhoe The register dates from the year 1675. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with that of Limpenhoe joint yearly value £292, in the gift of and held since 1871 by the Rev, Theodore Henry Crossman Day B.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, who resides at Limpenhoe vicarage. The charities are £4 yearly. H. R. Neville esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner The soil is light mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The area is 481 acres; rateable value,£878; the population in 1881 was 44.
Letters through Yarmouth. Reedham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
More on Southwood [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information on Southwood [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page