SPARHAM, 3 miles S.W. of Reepham, is a pleasant village, on the Norwich and Fakenham road, and has in its parish 373 souls, 90 houses, and 1,700 acres of land, principally belonging to the Earl of Leicester, who is also lord of the manor ; but Clarke Stoughton, Esq., and Mr. William George, of Reepham, have estates here. The Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £9 17s. 11d., has 92a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £481 awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. Charles Lombe, Esq. is patron, and the Rev. Thomas Starling Norgate, the incumbent. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here. A school was erected in 1852, by subscriptions. At the enclosure in 1806, an allotment of 20a. was awarded to the poor, for fuel. They have also two tenements, purchased with £35, left by various donors. Letters are brought by foot post from Norwich, at 11 a.m., and return at 2 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sparham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sparham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page