SPIXWORTH is a village and parish about 4 miles north from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a plain structure of rubble, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and small tower, and was re-seated in 1872: it contains several monuments of the Pecks and the Longes. The register dates from the year 1551. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £363, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. Robert Longe M.A. and held since 1855 by the Rev. Henry Howes M.A. of Caius Colege, Cambridge. The Hall, the property of Rev. Robert Longe M.A. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a handsome red brick mansion, situated a quarter of a mile south-west of the church, in a well-wooded park, and is occupied by Capt. Robert Bacon Longe. The soil is gravel and sand; subsoil, sand. The area is 1,224 acres; rateable value. £2,095, and the population in 1881 was 64.
Letters through Norwich. Horsham St. Faith's is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
1891 Census Names Index
Indenture of Samuel BARBER of Gunton and John BARBER of Spixworth, 1724 [Linda Steward]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Spixworh archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Spixworth Parish Council
More on Spixworth [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page