1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and Hunts 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Church of St. Cuthbert; St. George; and Sprowston Methodist Church [Simon Knott]
Sprowston postmill and tower mill; Sprowston road postmill and Austin's tower mill and Sprowston tower saw-mill [Jonathan Neville]
Sprowston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Sprowston Parish web-site
More on Sprowston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Sprowston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 499-500.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SPROWSTON is an extensive parish and very straggling village, 3 miles north from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Mary and Margaret is an ancient flint and stone building, and has at various times undergone repairs and alterations which have much interfered with its original architecture: it consists of chancel, nave, aisles and square brick tower containing 3 bells: it contains several handsome monuments, amongst the most interesting of which, but in a state of great dilapidation, are many relating to the Corbett family, the Micklethwaits, one to the Morse family, and several other mural tablets, one in the chancel dated 1665 to Sir Thomas Adams, who was Lord Mayor of London in 1645; the chancel window is stained, and was given by Mrs. Rushmore. The register dates from the year 1727. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value 300, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Francis Linton M.A. of University College, Oxford. A vicarage was erected in 1882. There is 30 yearly for fuel. The village is about 3 miles in length, and contains some handsome private residences. There are two corn mills in the parish. Sprowston Hall, the seat of John Gurney M.A., J.P. is a fine red brick mansion, which was rebuilt in 1881, pleasantly situated on the Wroxham road. John Gurney esq. who is lord of the manor, William Hardy Cozens-Hardy esq. Sir H. J. Stracey bart. and Gilbert H. Stracey esq. J.P. are the chief landowners. The soil of this parish is extremely light; subsoil, generally gravel, with patches of clay at varying depths, from which excellent bricks are made. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 2,576 acres; rateable value. 6,154; and in 1881 the population was 1,798.


POST, MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.—Henry Burrage, receiver. Letters arrive from Norwich at 4.45 a.m. & are dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Norwich.

A National school was erected in 1860 by Mrs.Arkwight & greatly enlarged in the year 1873 by John Gurney esq. to whom the school belongs; Robert John Adcock, master; Mrs. Jane M. Adcock, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and Hunts 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Church of St. Cuthbert; St. George; and Sprowston Methodist Church [Simon Knott]
Sprowston postmill and tower mill; Sprowston road postmill and Austin's tower mill and Sprowston tower saw-mill [Jonathan Neville]
Sprowston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Sprowston Parish web-site
More on Sprowston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page