Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1888; and 1900 [caz@whiteswan.u-net.com - archived copies on GENUKI-NFK]
Stalham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Stalham smockmill and Stalham Staithe tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Hunsett drainage windmill [Jonathan Neville]
About Norfolk web pages [Judi Ingram]
More on Stalham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Stalham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 495-496

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

STALHAM, 8½ miles S.E. of North Walsham, and 14½ miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a large and well-built village and parish, comprehending 698 souls, 160 houses, and 1,759a. 3r. 10p. of land, exclusive of 33a. of roads and water. A little south of the village are two wharfs, or staiths, with warehouses, coal-yards, &c., on the Broads, which are navigable hence to Yarmouth. Miss Brook is lady of the manor of Linford and Wilds ; and the Rev. Richard Johnson is lord of Stalham Hall. They are also impropriators of most of the great tithes, and owners of the chief part of the soil ; and the rest belongs to Mrs. F. M. Cubitt, the family of Cooke, and others. Wayford-Woodhouse, the property and residence of Mr. Wm. Gay, occupies the site of a Roman encampment ; several Roman urns were dug up in 1847-'8. The Church is a handsome gothic edifice, dedicated to St. Mary, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1847. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's book at £5. was augmented in 1753 with £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and has 7a. of glebe. Mrs. F. M. Cubitt is patron, and the Rev. Jph. N. White, B.A., vicar. The rectorial tithes are commuted for £353 ; and the vicarial for £194 per annum. About 480a. are free of great tithes. Here is a Methodist Chapel, and the National school was built in 1841 by the Rev. B. Cubitt, M.A., who was then the patron and incumbent. The poor's allotment, 7a. 1r. 32p., awarded at the enclosure of 47th George III., is let for about £24 a year. John Riches, in 1626, left £10 for the poor, which was laid out in the purchase of a house, and sold by the overseers for £80. Thos. Smith, in 1634, left a house and land, to pay yearly £5 to the poor, and 13s. 4d. to the vicar. There are now 7a. and certain premises belonging to this charity, including an allotment of 3a. 18p. awarded at the enclosure, which produces £22 per annum ; the whole of which is given to the poor, except 13s. 4d. to the vicar. In 1718, Cath. Smith left 6a. called the Long Closes, to the vicar, for reading prayers every Wednesday and Friday in Lent, but subject to the yearly payment of 16s. for the poor, and 4s. to the clerk for cleaning her monument.

Post Office at Mr. Miles Fenn's ; letters arrive at 9.30 a.m., and are despatched at 3.45 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1888; and 1900 [caz@whiteswan.u-net.com - archived copies on GENUKI-NFK]
Stalham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Stalham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Stalham Staithe tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Hunsett drainage windmill [Jonathan Neville]
About Norfolk web pages [Judi Ingram]
More on Stalham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]