STANFIELD is a parish 6 miles north-west-by-north from East Dereham, 3½ west from North Elmham station, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a structure of flint with stone dressings, is partly in the Perpendicular and partly in the Early English styles; it consists of chancel, nave, and a square tower containing 4 bells. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £298, with 20 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of and held by the Rev. Evan Lewis Davies M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. A Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1879. There is a fuel allotment of 8 acres for the poor, let for £15 10s. D. H. Hill esq. is lord of the manor. William Thomas Collison esq. and Captain Davy are the chief landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 903 acres; rateable value £1,484; the population in 1881 was 141.
Letters through Swaffham. Whissonsett is the nearest money order office, & the telegraph office is at Litcham.
PILLAR BOX cleared at 5.5 p.m.; sundays at 11.25 a.m.
The children attend the Board school at Mileham, to which this parish is a contributory district, sending 2 members
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
JERMY family (and murder) [Colin Jermy]
White's 1845; 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stanfield Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stanfield [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page