STANFORD is a parish and village on the road from Brandon to Watton and on the south bank of the river Wissey, 6 miles south-west from Watton station, Thetford and Swaffham section, 6 north-east from Brandon station on the Ely and Thetford section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 9 south from Swaffham, in the South Western division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Grimshoe, union and county court district of Swaffham, rural deanery of Thetford, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints, a short distance east of the village, is a structure of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a western tower, with a circular lower stage and octagonal belfry, and containing a clock and one bell: the church was enlarged in 1852 at a cost of £700, when the north aisle and chancel, then in ruins, were rebuilt and the interior reseated: it now affords 90 sittings. The register dates from the year 1754. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £152, including 11 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held in sequestration since 1923 by the Rev. Claude Arthur Everitt B.A. of Wadham College Oxford, who is also rector of West Tofts, where he resides. Lord Walsingham is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, marl and chalk, with clay in places. The chief crops are barley, oats, rye and turnips, and a little wheat. The area is 2,664 acres of land (formerly a rabbit warren) and 32 of water; rateable value, £925; the population in 1921 was 110.
Letters through Mundford, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3½ miles distant
Public Elementary School, erected in 1914, for 70 children; Miss A. A. Twite, mistress
Transcription © Copyright John Baldry, September 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1854; and 1883
Whites's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Book review ("A Norfolk Woman")
Stanford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stanford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page