STANFORD, a small village on the south side of the Wissey, 6 miles S.W. of Watton, has in its parish 184 souls, and 2183 acres of light sandy land, partly a rabbit warren and sheep walk. Lord Walsingham is owner of the soil and lord of the manor. The Church (All Saints) is a small fabric, with a tower half circular and half octangular. The Bishop of Ely is appropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £5. 13s. 1d., and in 1831, at £60. It was augmented, in 1775 and 1804, with £400 of Q.A.B., and is enjoyed by the Rev. George Miller.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854; and 1883
Kelly's 1883; and 1925
Whites's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Book review ("A Norfolk Woman")
Stanford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stanford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page