1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stanhoe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Stanhoe archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The Village of Stanhoe [Stanhoe WI]
More on Stanhoe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Stanhoe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 501.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

STANHOE is a parish and village, with station on the West Norfolk junction railway, situated 1¼ miles to the north, 4 south-south-west from Burnham Market, and 120 by rail from London, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking umion, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Heacham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a flint building, in the Pointed and Decorated styles, in good repair, having been restoired in 1855 by the Rev. Philip Hoste, formerly rector of the parish: it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a square embattled tower (cintaining 1 bell) situated at the south-wst quarter of the buildig, and through the base of which is the entranceL it is seated with open benchesL the pulpit and reading desk are of oakm erected in menory of Daniel Everard, formerly rector of this parish and of Burnham Thorpe, by his family, who also placed a font to the memory of Mrs. Everard: there is a vestry, and in the chancel an organ; a handsome east window was added in April 1870. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory with Barwick annexed, joint yearly value 485, with residence, erected by the rector in 1861, in the Venetian-Gothic style, and 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Mrs. Seymour, of Barwick House, and held since 1861 by the Rev. Augustus William Noel M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans, and there is a meeting room for Primitive Methodists. Mr. John Wright left 3 acres of land, which the present rector has exchanged for 4 acres of glebe, the proceeds of which are to be applied to putting children to school. Here are remains of an ancient cross, and of a religious house in Chapelfield. Stanhoe Hall, the seat of Major James Hollway D.L., J.P. is a mansion of brick: it is surrounded by well-wooded grouds and was enklarged in 1879. The principal landowners are Mrs. Seymour, who is lady of the manor, and the trustees of the late John Calthrop esq. who are lords of the manor of Marshes. The soil is good mixed; the subsoil is clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and mangolds. The area is 1,489 acres; rateable valuye, 2,159 8s.6d.; the population in 1881 was 437.


POST OFFICE.—Robert Allen, sub-postmaster. London & other letters received from Lynn at 7.30 a.m.l dispatched at 5.10 p.m. Docking is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Stanhoe & Barwick National School, erected in 1854; Miss Clara Emily Tarbuck, mistress

Railway Station, Moses Elliott, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, November 2008; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stanhoe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Stanhoe archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The Village of Stanhoe [Stanhoe WI]
More on Stanhoe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page