1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Starston local Web site [John Halliday - presently unavailable]
Starston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Starston {GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Starston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 501-502.

[Complete entry]. Transcription © Copyright Paul Madgett, January 1999

STARSTON is a parish and small village, situated in a valley, on the Waveney Valley branch of the Great Eastern railway, 1 miles north-by-west from Harleston station and 18 miles south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Earsham hundred, Depwade union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret, in the Early Decorated style, stands on a hill above the village: it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, and a square tower containing 5 bells: it contains a monument to Bartholomew Cotton, clerk of briefs in the Star Chamber, who died 21st June 1613: the north aisle was added and the church thoroughly restored in 1870, at a cost of nearly £1,000, defrayed by the rector and family, with the help of the parishioners: a new organ was erected in 1878, at the expense of Edmund Charles Hopper esq. : a lych-gate was erected by Mrs. Hopper in 1883. The living is a rectory, yearly value £663, with residence and 26 acres of glebe, in the gift of Edmund Charles Hopper esq. and held since 1878 by the Rev. Frederick Watson M.A.: the patron must present a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. In 1865, under the sanction of the Charity Commissioners, several pieces of scattered charity land were sold, which, with Davies' charity of £70, and a donation of £25 from one of the parishioners, realized the sum of £375, which was invested in the purchase of land; the proceeds are divided annually among the poor, partly in clothing and partly in fuel, excepting the sum of £4, which is given towards the support of the National school; in 1871 the Rev. Samuel Titlow, of Norwich, left £800 in trust to the rectors of Redenhall and Starston, the interest for apprenticing boys, four-fifths to the former parish and the remaining fifth to the latter. Starston Place, the seat of Alfred Taylor, is a mansion, situated on an eminence near the church, and surrounded by extensive grounds. The Rectory, Grove Hill and Conifer Hill are also good residences. Alfred Taylor, John Sancroft Holmes esq. and Mrs, Hopper are the principal landowners, the land is all freehold. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, turnips and pasture. The area is 2,244 acres; rateable value, £2,853; and the population in 1881 was 510.

________

POST OFFICE receiving house, Frederick Brock, receiver. Letters through Harleston, dispatched 6 p.m.; sundays 11 a.m. Harleston is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School, Miss Maria Harvey, mistress

Transcription © Copyright Paul Madgett, January 1999

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845; and 1883 [John Halliday]
Starston local Web site [John Halliday - presently unavailable]
Starston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Starston {GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page