STIBBARD is a parish about 4 miles nrth-east from Fakenham and 2 east from Ryburgh railway station, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an old Gothic stone building, restored in 1863, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle and tower. The register dates from the year 1733. The living is a rectory, yearly value £478, with residence, and 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of Misses Allnutt, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Thomas Allnutt B.D. of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The poor have £46 yearly, rent of 23 acres. Mr. James Emery, the Rev. P. Francis, the trustees of the late F. A. Morse Boycott esq, who are lords of the manor, and Mrs. Lydia King, are the principal landowners, The soil is chiefly heavy; subsoil, brick, earth and clay. The land is cultivated on the usual four-course system. The area is 1,468 acres; rateable vaue, £1,350; and the population in 1884 was 182.
POST OFFICE.Walter Norgate, receiver. Letters arrive through Dereham, viā Guist, at 7 a.m.; & are dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Fakenham & telegraph office at Ryburgh.
Ths National school was erected in 1858, for boys, girls and infants; Mrs. Jane Chapman, mistyress
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on the Wodehouse family [GENUKI-NFK]
Stibbard Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stibbard [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's Home Page