STIFFKEY is a pleasantly situated rural village, 3 miles E. of Wells, on the banks of a small river which discharges itself into the ocean, about 1½ mile to the N.E., and formerly had a quay and harbour. The parish comprises 110 houses, 520 souls, and about 2,235 acres of land, of which about 600a. are salt marsh. Capt. John Townshend, R.N. M.P., and the Rev. S. F. Rippingall, are the principal owners of the soil : The former is lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £25, now enjoyed by the Rev. R. B. Brereton, M.A., together with Morston, the livings being consolidated, and having 69a. of glebe. The tithes of Stiffkey are commuted for £423, and those of Morston for £280. Here were formerly two CHURCHES in one enclosure, dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St. Mary ; but the latter is gone and the other is an ancient edifice standing near the Hall. The rectory house is a modern building. The Hall, built by Sir Nicholas Bacon, was a place of consequence in former times ; but is now partly in ruins. Warborough House is a neat mansion, erected by the late James Buck, Esq., about 21 years ago, and is now the seat and property of John Ludgate, Esq. On Warborough Hill are several entrenchments, and Camping Hill is also supposed to have been entrenched. The sand hills, called Meals, thrown up by the ocean in this district, abound with rabbits. A School was built in 1845, at a cost of £200.
Post Office at Edmund Mann's ; letters arive at 11 a.m., and are despatched at 2.10 p.m.
Note on pronunciation:
Note added by Paddy Apling 18th May, 2001; links updatd October, 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
North Greenhoe hundred
Thomas DAWSON Will, 1590
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stiffkey Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Stiffkey towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Bingham and beyond (Introduction to the churches of Binham, Cockthorpe, Langham, Morston, and Stiffkey) [Simon Knott]
More on Stiffkey [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's Home Page