1891 Census index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stockton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stockton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Stockton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 502.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

STOCKTON is a parish and village 3 miles north-west from Beccles station and 4 north-east from Bungay, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfok and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is a small edifice in the Early English style, restored in 1880, consisting of chancel, nave and round tower with short spire and containing 5 bells. The register dates from the year 1536, The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge valued in 1831 at 280, with 34 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Alfred Bond, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edwin Tearle, of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge; a rectory house was built in 1879. The town estate consists of two cottages and 48 acres of land, now let for 65 yearly, which sum is applied for the repair of the church and the relief of the poor, Walter Kerrich esq. who holds the manor, and William Browne Easter esq. are he chief landowners. The soil is mixed clay and sand; subsoil clay. The area is 1,051 acres; rated at 1,606; and the population in 1881 was 116.


Letters through Bungay. The nearest money order office is at Gelderstone & teklegraph offic at Beccles

For educational purposes this parish is united with Kirby Cane amd Gelderstone

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, December 2007; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stockton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stockton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page