1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stody Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stody [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Stody

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 502-3.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

STODY is a parish about 1½ miles from Melton Constable station, 3 south-west from Holt and in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred , Erpingham union, and county court district of Holt, rural deanery of Holt, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The village is picturesquely situated in a dell, and is watered by a ruvulet running into the river Glaven. The church of St. Mary is a cruciform building, in the Perpendicular style, with round tower containing 1 bell; the font is large and octagonal, supported by small pillars on a stone base: in the chancel is a memorial to the Rev. J. W. Flavell who was rector of this parish, with Hunworth, for 47 years and died in 1848 aged 75, The register dates from the year 1580. The living is a rectory, with that of Hunworth annexed, joint yearly value £242, and 27 acres of land at Hunworth, 32 acres here, in the gift of the Marchioness of Lothian and held since 1881 by the Rev. Hugh Scales Fullagar M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, who resides at Hunworth, Constance Marchioness of Lothian is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,277 acres; rateable value, £1,489; and the population in 1881 was 130.

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, October 2008; spelling correction January 2010; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stody Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stody [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page