1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stoke Ferry watermill, postmill, southern postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Stoke Ferry Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Stoke Ferry village page
More on Stoke Ferry [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Stoke Ferry

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.503.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

STOKE FERRY ia a parish and small town and railway station on the Downham and Stoke Ferry branch, 7 miles east-south-east from Downham market and 14 south-east from Lynn. situate on the navigable river Wissey and at the junction of roads from Thetford and Brandon, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of the All Saints, restored in 1848, is in the Early English style and consists of chancel and nave, and bell-turret at the west end containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1703. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 156. in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1858 by the Rev. John McGill, of St. Bees. The small tithes are commuted to the Crown at 192 18s. yearly, and the great tithes to the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Company at 247. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and United Methodist Free Church, A fair for horses and cattle is held on December 6th, and one for hiring servants on the thursday befoe Old Michaelmas: considerable business is done at the wharf in corn, coals and malt. A public reading-room was established here in 1874 and is well supplied with the leading papers and periodcials of the day. Messrs. Paine and Brettell, solicitors, Chertsey, Surrey, are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are A. H. R. Micklefield esq. Miss Hebgin, S. Henry Winfield, Richard Harwin, Bradfield Etheridge, Edward Etheridge esqs, and the Rev. John McGill. The area is 2,659 acres; rateable value, 3,788; the population in 1881 was 684.


© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009; links updated December 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stoke Ferry watermill, postmill, southern postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Stoke Ferry Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Stoke Ferry village page
More on Stoke Ferry [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page