1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stokesby Methodist Chapel [Simon Knott]
Stokesby with Herringby Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Herringby postmill and Stokesby towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Stokesby Commission drainage mill and Old Hall drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Stokesby with Herringby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Stokesby-with-Herringby

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.504.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

STOKESBY-with-HERRINGBY is a village and parish 9 miles north-west from Yarmouth and 3½ west from Acle station, on the north bank of the navigable river Bure, in the Northern division of the county, the incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. Over the river Bure is a ferry to Acle. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient flint and stone structure, consisting of chancel, nave and square tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, nett yearly value £526, with 46 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Thomas Beard of Rottingdean, Sussex, and held since 1875 by the Rev. John Alexander Dolan M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel. The poor's land is 20 acres and 2 roods of marsh for feeding cows. Mrs. Copeman is lady of the manor. T. W. Daniel, William Waters, Frederick W. Waters and John Joseph Blake esqrs. are the principl landowners. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, gravel, sand and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats &c. The area is 2,115 acres; rateable value, £3,954; and the population in 1881 was 331.


POST OFFICE.—George Herrington, postmaster. Letters received from Yarmouth at 9.0 a.m. & are dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Runham & telegraph office at Acle

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; F. Burton, 2 King Street, Yarmouth, clerk to the Board

Board School (mixed), built in 1876 at a cost of £1.000 for 70 children, average attendance 50; Edwin Herridge, master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated December 2013.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stokesby Methodist Chapel [Simon Knott]
Stokesby with Herringby Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Herringby postmill and Stokesby towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Stokesby Commission drainage mill and Old Hall drainage mill [Jonathan Neville];
More on Stokesby with Herringby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page