1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Kelly's 1883
Lewis 1831 [S A Whittle-Bruce]
White's 1883 [GENUKI-MFK]
Kelly's 1908 and 1933 [S A Whittle-Bruce]
Barroway Drove Community web-site
Church of St. Peter. Stow Bridge [Simon Knott]
Stow Bardolph Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stow Bardolph [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Stow Bardolph

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 639-640

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

STOW-BARDOLPH has a number of scattered houses, and a small village on the Lynn road, 2 miles N. by E. of Downham, and contains in its parish 265 houses, 1,126 souls, and 6,139 acres of land, more than half of which is fen, drained under acts passed in 1798, and 1802, and in 1848 a steam engine of fifty horse power was erected at the cost of £3,500, to improve the drainage. At Stow Bridge, a hamlet, 2 miles W.N.W. of the church, a fair is held on the Saturday after Whitsuntide. Sir Thos. Hare, Bart., the principal land owner and lord of the manor, resides at Stow Hall, a stately mansion, with delightful pleasure grounds, and an extensive park. It was built in 1589, at a cost of £40,000, by Nicholas Hare, Esq., who erected a spacious dormitory for the interment of himself and family, adjoining the Church, which is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, has recently been repaired, the south side being entirely new ; it has a low tower and six bells. Several of the monuments to the Hare family are of the most elaborate workmanship, and some of the windows are richly beautified with stained glass. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £400, with the rectory of Wimbotsham annexed to it, in the patronage of Sir Thos. Hare, Bart., and enjoyed by the Rev. G. H. Dashwood. Six almshouses were built in 1622, by Sir Ralph Hare, Kt., who endowed them with 86a. 3r. of land, now let for £80 a year, which is divided among the inmates. The Town Lands, 18a., let for £29 10s., is partly carried to the overseers' accounts, and partly dispensed in doles. Pool House, a little south of the church, is supposed to have been an hermitage. Here is a station on the East Anglian Railway. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.

Post Office at Fdk. Gore's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.

Marked * are at Stow Bridge ; and in the Fen.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Kelly's 1883
Lewis 1831 [S A Whittle-Bruce]
White's 1883 [GENUKI-MFK]
Kelly's 1908 and 1933 [both S A Whittle-Bruce]
Barroway Drove Community web-site
Church of St. Peter. Stow Bridge [Simon Knott]
Stow Bardolph Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Stow Bardolph [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page