1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stow Bedon smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Stow Bedon church (with audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Stow Bedon archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Stow Bedon in pictures [BBC Radio Norfolk Treasure Chest]
Wikipedia on Stow Bedon
More on Stow Bedon [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Stow Bedon

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.505.

[Complete entry]. © Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999

STOW BEDON is a small parish and station on the Great Eastern railway, 4 miles south from Watton and 7 west from Attleborough, in the Western division of the county, Wayland hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Breccles and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Botolph was in 1852 thoroughly restored and enlarged; it is in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, and bell-turret 19 feet high, containing 1 bell: at the north side of the church are two small Early Decorated windows, and in the north wall of the chancel are two lancet windows, which had been blocked up and plastered over; they have been filled in with stained glass taken from Hildersham church, Cambridge. The register dates from 1722. The living is a rectory, yearly value £335, with residence and about 12 acres of glebe and a small farm at Shipdham, given by Queen Anne's Bounty, in the gift of and held since 1859 by the Rev. Daniel Race Godfrey M.A. late fellow of Queen's College, Oxford. Ray's charity of £1 10s. yearly is for bread, and the fuel allotment produces £10 10s. yearly. Stow-Bedon Mere is about 23 acres in extent. Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon esq. M.P. who is lord of the manor, Lord Walsingham and Mr. George Smith Corley are the chief landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The area is 1,692 acres; ratable value, £2,019; and the population in 1881 was 324.

_____

Letters though Attleborough. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Watton.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1876; H. F. Gregson, Watton, clerk to the Board.

Board School for 60 children, average attendance, 40, formerly the village school; on the formsation of the School Board it was handed over to them at a peppercorn rent; Mrs. Charlotte Foston, mistress.

Railway Station, Samuel Jackson Rise, station master.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stow Bedon smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Stow Bedon church (with audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Stow Bedon archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Stow Bedon in pictures [BBC Radio Norfolk Treasure Chest]
Wikipedia on Stow Bedon
More on Stow Bedon [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page