STOW-BEDON, a parish and village, 5 miles N. from Harling-road station, and 6 miles S.E. by S. of Watton, has 76 houses, 351 inhabitants, and 1,637 acres of land, a great part of which belongs to B. Gurdon, Esq., the lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Botolph, was partly rebuilt, thoroughly restored, and re-pewed in 1852, principally at the cost of the rector. Several of the windows have been beautified with stained glass, and the rood screen, as well as the stalls in the chancel, are of carved oak. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £4 19s. 4d., and in 1845 at £337 10s., in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Darby Reade, B.A., who resides at the rectory-house, a neat residence, built in 1850. The living was augmented, in 1714, with £200 given by James Smyth, and in 1718 with £200 Queen Anne's bounty. Here is a school chiefly supported by the rector. The Fuel Allotment, 30a., was awarded in 1814, and is let for £12. The poor have also the dividends of £51 5s. 8d., three and a half per cent. consols, left by Rebecca Ray.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stow Bedon smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Stow Bedon church (with audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Stow Bedon archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Stow Bedon in pictures [BBC Radio Norfolk Treasure Chest]
Wikipedia on Stow Bedon
More on Stow Bedon [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page