1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stradsett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Stradsett

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 505.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

STRADSETT is a village and parish 4 miles north-east from Downham Market, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deaner of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the road from Downham Market to Swaffham. The church of St. Mary is a stuccoed building in the Early English style, with chancel, nave and small tower contaiing 3 bells: the chancel contains a beautiful stained window, representing the Adoration of the Magi: the church contains some handsome monuments to the Bagge family: in 1867 the interior was considerably improved by the removal of a gallery at the west end. which brought to light the Early English arch of the tower and a lancet window behind. The register dates from the year 1559. The living, lately a discharged vicarage, was united with that of Crimplesham by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1878, joint yearly value about 300, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1880 by the Rev. Wilson Burnet M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Crimplesham. Under the Inclosure Act. a sum of not less than 5, or more than 10, is to be laid out in coals yearly. Stradsett Hall is a large and ancient mansion, in an extensive park, with a lake of 23 acres, abounding with fish, is the property of Sir Alfred Thomas Bagge bart. J.P. who is lord of the manor, lay impropriator and principal landowner, and resides at Crimplesham Hall. Stradsett Hall is now occupied by the Dowager Lady Bagge. The soil is of a mixed and excellent quality; subsoil, drift, clay and green sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley &c. The area is 1,318 acres; rateable value, 1,816; the poplation in 1881 was 140.


POST OFFICE.—Edwin Duckling, receiver. Letters from Downham arrive at 6.55 a.m. & dispatched at 6.15 p.m. weekdays, & at 10 a.m. on sundays. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Fincham

CARRIER TO LYNN.—Salmon passes through, to & from Stoke Ferry, tuesday & saturday

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stradsett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page