STRADSETT, a scattered parish near the Swaffham road, 4 miles E. by N. of Downham, has 38 houses, 157 inhabitants, and 1,236 acres of land, the property of Wm. Bagge, Esq., M.P., of Stradsett Hall, a large ancient mansion with an extensive park, ornamented with a fine lake of 22a. He is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the Church, a neat stuccoed building, dedicated to St. Mary, which has the east window richly adorned with stained glass, representing the adoration of the Magi ; and contains some beautiful monuments to the Bagge family. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £3 6s. 8d. and in1831, at £108, in the gift of W. Bagge, Esq., and enjoyed by the Rev. A. V. H. Hallett, M.A. Here is a parochial school, and the poor have about £5 levied on the enclosed lands.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stradsett Archeology [Norfolk Heritge Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page