STRATTON STRAWLESS is a village and parish 1½ miles south-west from Buxton station on the Great Eastern railway, 7 miles north from Norwich, and 4½ south from Aylsham, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a structure of stone, and has chancel, nave and square tower containing 6 bells, and contains some old specimens of stained glass and various monuments: one effigy is supposed to represent the last Ralph de Strattton; and upon an altar-tomb of black marble, is that of T. Marsham, in a shroud, reclining on a pillow, above which are represented the figures of two angels sounding their trumpets; and four effigies of Henry Marsham, his wife, son and daughter, in black and white marble. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Philip Marsham B.C.L. of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and held since 1872, by the Rev. Henry Horace Matchett M.A. (formerly chaplain Royal Navy), of Emmanuel College, Cambridge: it has 32 aces of glebe and house; the tithes have been commuted to £287 yearly. The poor's land consists of about 28 acres, situate in the parish of Marsham, which lets for £25 yearly. The Hall, the seat of Charles Robert Marsham esq. J.P. is a large white modern mansion, surrounded by trees of various kinds, amongst which is a cedar of unusual growth, which has become an object of considerable interest to the neighbourhood/ The manor has been held by the Marsham family since the time of Edward I. R. Marsham esq. F.R.S. who died in 1797, at the advanced age of 90, was a celebrated naturalist, and plated many of the flourishing trees around the Hall. The parish is the property of Charles Robert Marsham esq. and the Rev. Henry P. Marsham, the former being lord of the manor. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,582 acres; rateable value, £1,600; the population in 1881 was 186.
Parish Clerk, John Burcham.
Letters through Norwich. The nearest money order office is at Buxton; telegraph office at Aylsham. PILLAR LETTER BOX cleared at 3.45 p.m.; on sundays at 8.30 a.m.
National School, Miss Honeygold, certificated mistress
Marsham Charles Robert J.P. The Hall
Matchett Rev. Henry Horace M.A., R.N. [rector]
Bowman Benjamin, farmer
Bowman Robert, blacksmith
Bowman William James. farmer
Case Thomas Henry, farmer
Fiddy John, carpenter
Futter John, hurdle maker
Le Grice William, shopkeeper
Powell Alfred Edward, farmer
Sergent Robert, farmer
Smith Emily (Miss), farmer
Vincent D. farm bailiff to C. R. Marsham esq. J.P.