1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Strumpshaw Smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Strumpshaw Fen Nature Reserve
Strumpshaw Steam Museum
Strumpshaw archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Strumpshaw
More on Strumpshaw [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Strumpshaw

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 506-507.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

STRUMPSHAW is a parish and village 8½ miles east from Norwich, 1¾ north from Buckenham Ferry station, in the Southern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter> consists of chancel, nave, aisles and square tower with 3 bells: it contains a very beautiful screen and several marble slabs, to members of the Whitbread, Tuck, Atkins, Barnes and Springhall families: the chancel was restored in 1848 and contains some handsome stained wndows. The register dates from about the year 1562. The living is a rectory, with that of Bradeston annexed, joint gross yearly value £630, with residence, and includes 64 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1833, by the Rev. Edmund Salter Whitbread M.A. of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, J.P. There are a few small charities, one left by Mr. Black a considerable time back, is distrbuted in wheat by the rector and the parish officers for the time being; there is also a poor's allotment distributed in fuel. The Hall, the seat of William James Owen Holmes esq. is a modern building, situated in a small finely timbered park, about a mile from Buckenham station. The principal landowners are W. J. G. Holmes, T. Atkins and E. Barnes esqrs. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, gravel and brick earth. The chief crops are the usual cereals and roots. The area is 1,337 acres; rateable value, £2,382; and the population in 1881 was 407.

POST OFFICE.—Wm. Harrison, receiver. Letters through Norwich by foot post from Burlingham, arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.15 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Blofield

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875. for the united district of Strumpshaw, Bradeston and Brundall; H. H. Cole, Great Plumstead, clerk to the Board

Board School, erected in 1874 for the three parishes, to hold 100 children; average attendance 80; Mrs. Charlotte Houghton, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April, 2010, links updated December, 2013.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Strumpshaw Smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Strumpshaw Fen Nature Reserve
Strumpshaw Steam Museum
Strumpshaw archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Strumpshaw
More on Strumpshaw [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page