1891 Census Names Index
Blofield hundred
Blofield Union
Norwich county court
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Strumpshaw Smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Strumpshaw Fen Nature Reserve
Strumpshaw Steam Museum
Strumpshaw archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Strumpshaw
More on Strumpshaw [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Strumpshaw

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p.336

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2004]

STRUMPSHAW is a scattered village, on an eminence 8½ miles E. by S. of Norwich—containing 88 houses, 441 souls, and 1,288 acres of land, belonging to a number of freeholders, and a few copyholders : the latter are subject to arbitrary fines, payable to the heirs of the late E. Walpole, Esq., as lords of the manor. The Church dedicated to St. Peter, was new pewed and covered with blue slate in 1819, at the cost of £150. The windows have recently been richly decorated with stained glass, and the structure otherwise greatly improved and beautified, at the expense of the present incumbent. The living is a rectory valued in the King's book at £8, and in 1831, at £486, with that of Bradestone annexed to it, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. E. S. Whitbread, M.A., who has a good residence and 64a. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1844, for £370. Mr. Barnes has in his possession a gold medal, presented to his grandfather more than a century ago, for the improvements he made in planting trees on his estate. A plantation of fir trees that he planted still remains. A peculiar earth or clay found near this gentleman's residence, in great abundance, has been sent to London, Bristol, &c., and manufactured into fine earthenware. The Windmill, in this parish, is supposed to stand on the highest ground in the county—commands an extensive and richly diversified prospect—and forms a conspicuous land mark. The Fuel allotment about 10a., was awarded at the enclosure in 1810, and is let for £9 a year. The poor have also a coomb of wheat yearly, out of a farm, pursuant to the request of Wm. Black, in 1756. Post Office at John Spooner's. Letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2004; links updated December, 2013.

1891 Census Names Index
Blofield hundred
Blofield Union
Norwich county court
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Strumpshaw Smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Strumpshaw Fen Nature Reserve
Strumpshaw Steam Museum
Strumpshaw archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Strumpshaw
More on Strumpshaw [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page