STURSTON is a parish and village 8 miles north-east from Brandon, 6 south-west from Watton station and 6 from Thetford, in the Western division of the county, union and county court district of Thetford, hundred of Grimshoe, rural district of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Here was formerly a church, but only the ruins are now to be seen. The living is a sinecure vicarage, yearly value £26, in the gift of Lord Walsingham and held since 1875 by the Rev. Ernest Hastings Swann, M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who is vicar of and resides at Tottington. Lord Walsingham is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, sand The chief crops are wheat, barley, rye and turnips, with some pasture land. The area is about 2,000 acres; rateable value £1,140; and the population in 1881 was 66. Letters through Thetford. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Mundford R.S.O.
Note: The village has been long deserted and the whole of the parish, has, since 1942, been incorporated in the Stanford Military Training Area, from which the public is normally excluded.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1925; and 1937
White's 1845; 1854; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sturston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sturston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page