STURSTON is a parish and village 6 miles south-west from Watton station on the Bury, Thetford and Swaffham section of the London & North Eastern railway, 6 north from Thetford and 8 north-east from Brandon, in the Southern division of the county, union and county court district of Thetford, hundred and petty sessional division of Grimshoe, rural deanery of Breccles, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Holy Cross is now in ruins. The living, formerly a perpetual curacy, was, together with vicarage of Thompson, was consolidated with the vicarage of Tottington by Order in Council, dated July 14th, 1911, joint net yearly value £200 and residence, in the gift of Lt.-Col Hon. George de Grey D.S.O. and held since 1911 by the Rev. Charles Kent M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, who is also rector of Merton where he resides. Lord Walsingham is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light, with marl and in places clay subsoil. The chief crops are wheat, barley, rye and turnips, with some pasture land and sheep walks. The area is 1,928 acres; rateable value, £435; the population in 1921 was 27.
Letters through Mundford, 4½ miles distant, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office
The children of this place attend the school at Stanford
© Complete entry. Transcription © Copyright John Baldry, September 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883; and 1937
White's 1845; 1854; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sturston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sturston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page