STURSTON is a parish and village 6 miles south-west from Watton station on the Bury, Thetford and Swaffham section of the London and North Eastern Railway, 6 north from Thetford, and 8 north-east from Brandon, in the Southern division of the county, rural district of Swaffham, county court district of Thetford, hundred and petty sessional division of Grimshoe, rural deanery of Breccles, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Holy Cross is now in ruins. The living, formerly a perpetual curacy, was, together with the vicarage of Tompson [sic.], consolidated with the vicarage of Tottington by an Order in Council, dated July 14th, 1911, joint yearly value £200, and residence, in the gift of Lord Walsingham D.S.O., J.P. and held since 1930 by the Rev. Ernest Stanley Thomas, of Durham University, who is also vicar of Merton, where he resides. Lord Walsingham D.S.O., J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light with marl and in places clay subsoil. The chief crops are barley, rye and turnips, with some pasture land and sheep walks. The area is 1930 acres; the population in 1931 was 43.
Letters through Mundford (Suffolk). Mundford is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Note: The village has been long deserted and the whole of the parish, has, since 1942, been incorporated in the Stanford Military Training Area, from which the public is normally excluded.
Transcription © Copyright R.C. Tuck, January 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883; and 1925
White's 1845; 1854; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sturston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sturston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page