STURSTON parish, on the river Wissey, 5½ miles S.W. by S. of Watton, has only 47 souls, and 1802 acres of sandy land, in one farm, belonging to Lord Walsingham, and occupied by Charles Hall.. About 800A. form a prolific rabbit warren. The Church (Holy Cross,) has long been a heap of ruins, though the burial ground is still used. The sinecure curacy, valued, in 1831, at £28, is in the gift of Lord Walsingham, and incumbency of the Rev. W. Pearce.
Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883; 1925; and 1937
White's 1854; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sturston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sturston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page