STURSTON, 5½ miles S.W. by S. of Watton, is a small parish, with 9 houses, 62 souls, and 1,802 acres of sandy land, in one farm, the property of Lord Walsingham, and occupied by Mr. Charles Hall. The Church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, has long been a heap of ruins, though the burial ground is still used. The sinecure salary, valued in 1831 at £28, is in the gift of Lord Walsingham, and enjoyed by the Rev. F. W. Mant.
Note: The village has been long deserted and the whole of the parish, has, since 1942, been incorporated in the Stanford Military Training Area, from which the public is normally excluded.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883; 1925; and 1937
White's 1845; and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sturston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sturston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page