STURSTON is a parish, on the river Wissey, 5½ miles S.W. by S. of Watton, and 8 miles N.E. from Brandon, in Thetford union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Grimshoe petty sessional division and hundred, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 66 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3100 acres, and has a rateable value of about £1200. The parish lies in two farms, belonging to Lord Walsingham; about 800 acres formerly formed a prolific rabbit warren and sheep walk. The CHURCH (Holy Cross) has long been in ruins. The sinecure curacy, valued at £26, is in the gift of Lord Walsingham and incumbency of the Rev. Ernest Hastings Swann, M.A., of Tottington.
POST from Thetford. Mundford is the nearest Money Order Office.
Note: The village has been long deserted and the whole of the parish, has, since 1942, been incorporated in the Stanford Military Training Area, from which the public is normally excluded.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883; 1925; and 1937
White's 1845; and 1854
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sturston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sturston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett] size=3>
Paddy's home page