SUFFIELD is a parish about 1 miles from Felmingham station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 5 miles north-east from Aylsham and 3½ north-west from North Walsham station, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of North Erpingham, union of Erpingham, North Walshamm county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a handsome structure of flint with stone facings in the Norman style: it consists of chancel, nave and aisles, a handsome square tower, with buttresses, containing 5 bells and south porch, and was thoroughly restored in 1879: in 1880 the handsome screen was restored. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent charge of £352, with 11 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Suffield and held since 1877 by the Rev. Herbert James Bodington M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. There are two charities producing about £35 yearly. Lord Suffield is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, rye and turnips, with some pasture land. The area is 1,458 acres; rateable value £2,165; and the population in 1881 was 206.
Letters t hrough Aylsham. Hanworth is the nearest money order & telegraph office
This parish is contributory to the United School board of Felmingham, sending 1 member
Charity School, founded & endowd by the Suffield family in 1816 with £21 yearly, for 20 poor girls; Mrs. James, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
Census Transcripts for 1841; 1851; 1881 and 1891 [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
White's 1845; 1854 and Kelly's 1933.
Suffield postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Suffield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page