SUFFIELD is a parish about 1½ miles north from Felmingham station on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, 4 north-east from Aylsham and 3½ north-west from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of North Erpingham, rural district of Erpingham, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The Church of St.Margaret is a stucture of flint with stone facings, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave aisles, south porch and western turret containing 5 bells: the church was thoroughly restored in 1868: there are 200 sittings. In the churchyard is a granite cross erected in memory of the men who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918.
The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £350, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Lord Suffield, and held since 1915 by the Rev. Henry Hardy M.A. of Durham University. A reading room was opened in 1900, at a cost of about £100. There are two charities, producing about £30 yearly.
Messrs. James Whistler, Leonard Monsey, Robert Dennis and H.Betts are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 1,448 acres; rateable value, £2,060; the population in 1921 was 161.
Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Norwich.
Hanworth nearest M.O.& T. office.
© Transcribed by M.G.Hedge, March, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
North Erpingham hundred
Census Transcripts for 1841; 1851; 1881 and 1891 [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
White's 1845; 1854 and Kelly's 1883
Suffield postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Suffield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page